Be a Volunteer to Make a Better World
Hello!!! Couldn't write an article for a long time because I didn't have the time to even manage my blogs. But if you start a blog, you should update it. That's a common rule among bloggers ;)
So I thought I'd write this article. Another reason to write this article is that these days many people don't like to join volunteer programs. I don't know why they don't like to make a better world while making a better future for themselves. But some people do like to help the world. The problem is, they can't find a volunteer program that suits them, to join. So... I'm going to write about why we should join volunteer programs and what benefits you get as a volunteer. Then I'll tell you how to start or join volunteer programs if you'd really like to make some changes in the world.
Did you know that your volunteer experience can increase your value by 1000%? If you become a volunteer, you can become a better human being and you can learn something new. And we can help others while getting real self-satisfaction in return. This isn't just a feel-good claim, either research consistently backs it up. Studies by organisations such as the Corporation for National and Community Service have found that people who volunteer regularly report better mental health, lower stress levels, and even a longer lifespan than those who don't.
These days I reached out to some friends to join a volunteer program that helps Sri Lankan students learn about computer science, IoT (Internet of Things) devices, and helps them build innovative projects easily. I invited some friends to join me, but they asked what benefits they would get, and some friends directly ignored the request while others told me they were too busy with work to spend time on a volunteer program.
I know why they rejected this valuable opportunity. They don't know what a volunteer program can do, and they don't know how to get involved in one. I told you above that volunteering can increase the value of your life by 1000%. You will learn so many new things and meet so many valuable people by being a volunteer. But you have to choose the right type of volunteer program, one that matches your life's passion.
Personally, I mostly join volunteer programs in the ICT sector, but I don't join every volunteer program I come across, even within that sector. First, I discuss things with some key people from that volunteer program. Then I think about whether this volunteer program is genuinely needed in our country or our world, and whether it can create real change in our society, country, or the world at large. That's not all... I also weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a member of that particular program.
Many people wonder how to get involved in volunteering. I was also searching for good volunteer programs when I was 17 years old, and it turned out to be quite easy. I started a thread in an online forum, and it helped me discover so many volunteer opportunities. If you're a school student, the best way to start your volunteering journey is to join your school societies such as the ICT society, the drug prevention society, the environmental society, and so on. There's a lot you can do in our country and in the world even as a school student.
You're welcome to comment below about your life's passion if you'd like help finding volunteer opportunities. I'll do my best to help you find the ones that suit you.
Benefits of volunteering
I will write down some benefits you can have
by joining a volunteer program:
- You expand your personal and professional network
- You learn new and transferable skills
- You gain a wide range of experiences
- It's an opportunity for career exploration
- You build your character and personality
- You become someone who represents your society, community, country, or the whole world
- You have fun while doing meaningful work
- You build empathy and a broader worldview by working alongside people from different backgrounds
Volunteer programs that you can join
Open source and internet freedom:
You can join your campus Firefox Student Club and do something for a better internet experience, while advocating for internet privacy. You can also contribute to the open-source world. If there isn't a Firefox Student Club at your university yet, you can talk to the Firefox Student Ambassador Program about hosting a community on your campus. You can also join a FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) community at your university, where you can fight for software freedom and contribute to open-source projects.
Cross-cultural exchange:
If you enjoy learning about other cultures and want to help build a more peaceful, respectful world, consider becoming a member of AIESEC, the world's largest youth-run organisation, present in over 100 countries. Through AIESEC you can learn about other cultures and take part in voluntary work for society and the environment while engaging with people from around the world. If you'd like to help foreigners living in Sri Lanka, or share good news about Sri Lanka with the world, you can join the "Foreigners in Sri Lanka" Facebook group.
Tech communities:
You can become a Microsoft Learn Student Ambassador, a member of a Google Developer Group (GDG) in Sri Lanka, or a member of an IEEE Student Branch. There's also ISACA, a global community for those interested in computer security, governance, and ethical hacking. I should mention specifically that IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) isn't only for electronic engineers. Anyone who loves computers, robotics, chemistry, and related fields can join.
Education and youth empowerment:
If you'd like to raise awareness among schoolchildren and university students about technology, you can join organisations such as SL2College, SEF (Sustainable Education Foundation), STEM Up Educational Foundation, CoderDojo, or the Micro:bit Sri Lanka User Group (Micro:bit SLUG). Many countries around the world run their own micro:bit communities, which help young people build their logical thinking and programming skills using IoT devices.
Well-established humanitarian organisations:
Beyond the ICT space, Sri Lanka has several long-standing, highly reliable volunteer organisations worth knowing about:
- Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement, Sri Lanka's largest and oldest people's organisation, founded in 1958, focused on community development through "shramadana" (the sharing of labour).
- Sri Lanka Red Cross Society, part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent movement, offering volunteer opportunities in disaster response, first aid, blood donation drives, and community health.
- Rotaract and Interact Clubs, youth branches of Rotary International, active in most Sri Lankan universities and many schools, running community service projects on education, health, and the environment.
- Habitat for Humanity Sri Lanka focused on building homes and communities for low-income families and regularly runs volunteer builds.
- Lions Clubs International (Sri Lanka chapters), community service clubs running local projects on health camps, environmental clean-ups, and disaster relief.
- UN Volunteers (UNV) Sri Lanka, the UN's volunteering arm, which occasionally opens national and online volunteer positions to Sri Lankans, including in ICT for development.
- Sewalanka Foundation, a Sri Lankan NGO working on community empowerment, disaster management, and sustainable development, often welcoming volunteers for fieldwork.
That's not all... There are so many different types of volunteer programs out there if you love saving lives, helping people living in poverty, or helping animals. Take the time to find the one that matches your life's passion.
Now you know about a good number of volunteer opportunities. The world needs you... you can help, and you can be a hero.
Please leave your comments below about this article, share your life's passion, and tell me your thoughts on volunteering as I mentioned above.
Thank
you!!!!




10 Comments
Good one. Explain each of these in coming posts. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteI'll try to explain more in this article itself. And I'm going to write reviews about each and every of these. Thank you!!!
DeleteGreat Post. Valuable.
ReplyDeleteI have contributed to one volunteer programme. "Akura" who's intention is to improve the educational and facility levels of school children in rural areas in Sri Lanka. But only in monetary level. I'm sad that I couldn't attend to their programmes in person.
I look forward to join volunteer programmes based on environment, technology, career guidance...
Good Luck.
www.madhawaweb.tk
www.madhawahabarakada.com
I will review "Akura" volunteer program and will add it into this post. Thanks for your comment aiye!!!
Deletegreat post brother.....
ReplyDeleteThank you very much bro!!!
DeleteExtraordinary article ravindu
ReplyDelete:)
DeleteGood one. thanks for your helpful instruction.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for the supportive comment.
DeletePost a Comment