SL Tuk Tuk


Sometimes we call them 'tuk tuk'. Many people used to call it 'trishaw'. Some Sri Lankans call it 'taxi' because it's the most popular vehicle for hire with a driver in Sri Lanka. And yes… This article is about three-wheels. Actually this article is not only about those three-wheels. But also about all other alternatives we can use instead of using three-wheels. We generally use 'tuk tuks' to go wherever we need to go hurry when we have no any other option. Sometimes I search for a three-wheel, when I have no idea about the road to go to the place I need to go. Many people, who have hired three-wheels, have so many bad experiences with three-wheels and three-wheel drivers and there are so many complains too. Many foreigners, from Foreigners in Sri Lanka Facebook group, asked me to give them some tips to avoid unethical three-wheel drivers. That's why I actually write this article and I think this will be very helpful for anyone who commonly hire a three-wheel with a driver to go somewhere.

When you are searching for a three-wheel, try to find a three-wheel which has been pasted a sticker or a board that confirms it is a 'meter taxi'. Some three-wheel drivers have pasted a sticker or a board which says it's a budget taxi. Probably their budget is too high ;)


Before you start your journey, please be wise enough to ask them whether their meter is actually working. And be careful whether he resets the meter before starting the journey. And use Google Maps to verify if you are following the shortest and the best path you can go. Otherwise the meter taxi driver may lead you to use the longest path, they can imagine :(
Yes indeed… I know it's hard to find a 'meter taxi' in some areas. Specially in where many foreigners live.
When I'm in my village, I have few three-wheel driver's contacts and I usually hire their three-wheels. I became a their friend after going by their three-wheels three or four times and after confirming whether they drive safely and they don't charge unfairly. Sometimes they have given me some offers also. I think this is the best method to hire a taxi in your living area.

I think booking an Uber Zip vehicle is the best option we have instead of going by a 'meter taxi (three-wheel )' if Uber vehicles are available for your journey. In Sri Lanka, Uber vehicles are available only in Colombo according to my knowledge.


If there are not any Uber Zip vehicles available for your journey, you can use 'PickMe' app. PickMe is a Sri Lankan Company which provides services as same as Uber and it let us to hire three-wheels also. Actually the main vehicle type they provide is three-wheels because it's a Sri Lankan Company.

Usually I go by Uber Zip vehicles if it's available for my journey because it's very safe, comfortable, and cheap. Unless an 'Uber Zip' vehicle or an 'Uber Go' vehicle is available, I go by a meter taxi (three-wheel). (Update :- Uber tuk option is also available now to hire three-wheels online)

That's all I have to tell for now. This is a short article. But I think this will be very important for you if you are a stranger to go by Sri Lankan taxies. Your comments, describe more about taxies in Sri Lanka and describe your experiences, are very important for this article. Please feel free to leave any comment about this article also and feel free to ask any question about 'SL tuk tuks' ;) Thanks!!!